Are you an artist professional or amateur? This Art & Design Contest is for you!
After a one-year break due to the Covid 19 pandemic, the Quercus Suber Contest is back for what will be its 5th edition.
Supported by Model Forest of Provence, a non-profit association, recognised as being of general interest, created on the initiative of the SUD Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur Region in 2013, this unique competition offers participants the challenge of sublimating the cork oak, the emblematic tree of the Massif des Maures, by working on its wood and/or cork.
This approach offers participants visibility for their work, while giving a spotlight to the regional craft and cork industries as well as new perspectives for the industry, which can contribute to its revival.
Following the great fire in the Massif des Maures last summer, the central theme will be the valorisation of the burnt cork oak.
The prize money is increasing!
This contest is divided into 3 disciplines:
- Design ;
- Turning ;
The association proposes an endowment :
- 1000€ for the first of each category! Several consolation prizes for the other participants will be provided.
- a Villa Noailles Public Prize for Turning and Design (200€ each),
- a "Movements and Landscapes" Public Prize during the Weekend of the cork oak of 500€.
Events and visibility
This contest, and the synergy created, has led to the creation of two events for the general public at emblematic sites, each extended by exhibitions:
- The Cork Days take place at the Villa Noailles, the work of the architect Robert Mallet-Stevens, labelled as an "art centre of national interest", and a place of culture with worldwide influence. It is the only art centre in France that builds its programme around architecture, fashion and photography (International Fashion and Photography Festival), and design (Design-Parade in Hyères and Toulon), while supporting and honouring local crafts every year.
- The 4th edition will take place on 23 and 24 April!
- The Cork Oak Weekend takes place at the Domaine de Baudouvin. An enchanting space nestled between Valette-du-Var and the Coudon, it is renowned for its landscaping in the great tradition of Provençal gardens, reviving old varieties, carefully laid out flowerbeds and singing water paths. The Domaine is classified as a Remarkable Garden, and was awarded the Victoire du Paysage in 2010 for its blend of tradition, modernity and environmental respect.
- The 2022 event will take place on 8 and 9 October!
The contest is renewed year after year thanks to the commitment of the Escoulen woodturning school, the Villa Noailles, Lou Rodou Valettois, the Syndicat Mixte du Massif des Maures and with the support of the Région SUD Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur, the Département du Var and the municipality of La Valette-du-Var.
Registration and information
Link to the facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/332859545334670/
Link to the Portal of the cork oak: http://www.cheneliege.fr/?p=1660&preview=true&_thumbnail_id=783
Registration is open until Saturday 5 February, participation in the contest is free, and the selection will be based on a dossier.